This is my list for The Classics Club.
Why 75? Because I’m indecisive and couldn’t choose 50! I tried to include a little bit of everything. I’ve divided the list by period, so it’s roughly chronological.
I might change a few of these, but I will keep the number the same.
Start date: 9/21/2018 — 9/22/2022 (5 years)
- The Bacchae & other plays – Euripides (own) (drama) (4 plays — The Bacchae & Women of Troy will be rereads; Ion & Helen are new to me) 2/12/2019 read & reviewed!
- Electra by Sophocles (drama)
- The Iliad – reread – read & reviewed
- The Odyssey – Homer (poetry) (reread) (translation: Emily Wilson) (library) 3/5/2019
- The Symposium – Plato (philosophy)
- Metamorphoses – Ovid (own) I kept putting this off until I had read The Aeneid, which I finished in June 2018. I’ll probably start this in January 2019. finished 2019!
- The Golden Ass – Apuleius (AS Kline translation, free, poetryintranslation.com)
- Meditations – Marcus Aurelius (Project Gutenberg or Serial Reader app)
- The True History — Lucian of Samosata
- Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, and Sir Orfeo (reread, except for Pearl, which is new to me) (public library) read in December 2018
- Le Morte d’Arthur: King Arthur and the Legends of the Round Table – Malory (online) (Project Gutenberg)
- The Saga of the Volsungs
- The Lais of Marie de France (library) read & reviewed
- The Canterbury Tales – Chaucer (own)
- The Kalevala (Project Gutenberg) (Finnish) one of J.R.R. Tolkien’s favorites
- The Poetic Edda (Project Gutenberg)
- The Sagas of Icelanders (public library or buy)
Love’s Labour’s Lost – Shakespeare (own) read & reviewed, 2018!
Macbeth – Shakespeare (reread) (own) read & reviewed, March 2019!
Troilus & Cressida – Shakespeare (own) (2020?)
Cymbeline – Shakespeare (own)
The Faerie Queene – Spenser (own)
Paradise Lost – Milton (reread) (paradiselost.org)
The Conference of the Birds – Farid ad-Din Attar (public library)
Journey to the West volume one
- The Social Contract – Jean Jacques Rousseau (Project Gutenberg) nonfiction 2/7/2019
- The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire – Edward Gibbon (own) nonfiction 7/26/2019
- Democracy in America – Alexis de Tocqueville
- Songs of Innocence & Experience – William Blake (poetry) (Project Gutenberg) poetry
- Lyrical Ballads – Wordsworth & Coleridge (poetry) (Project Gutenberg) poetry
- Manfred – Lord Byron (drama) https://www.bartleby.com/18/6/ read & reviewed!
- Idylls of the King – Alfred Lord Tennyson (poetry) (Project Gutenberg)
- Vanity Fair – Willliam Makepeace Thackeray (Project Gutenberg)
- Hunchback of Notre Dame – Victor Hugo (Project Gutenberg)
- Tess of the D’Ubervilles – Thomas Hardy (Project Gutenberg)
- Collected Poems – Emily Dickinson (poetry)
- Three Men in a Boat – Jerome K. Jerome 1/28/2019 read & reviewed!
- The Tenant of Wildfell Hall – Anne Bronte – reread
- Lilith by George McDonald
- 20th CENTURY — 1900-1950: 15 books
- The Souls of Black Folk – W.E.B. Dubois (Project Gutenberg) read & reviewed
The Complete John Silence– replaced with Four Weird Tales – Algernon Blackwood (LibriVox) (read & reviewed)
- Tales Before Tolkien: The Roots of Modern Fantasy – I think this collection is 19th-early 20th century? (library)
- Orlando – Virginia Woolf (own) I’d like to give this modernist classic another try. – Read & reviewed 2018!
- A Portrait of the Artist As A Young Man – another modernist classic
- The Sound & the Fury – Wiliam Faulkner (library) (I can’t believe I still haven’t read this.) – Read & reviewed August 2019!
- Selected Poems by Langston Hughes (library)
- The House on the Borderland – William Hope Hodgson (Project Gutenberg or LibriVox) (read October 2019)
- The King of Elfland’s Daughter – Lord Dunsany (Project Gutenberg, this just entered the public domain!) I really loved this a few years ago
- The Best of CL Moore – C.L. Moore (library)
- The Left Hand of Darkness (reread) – Ursula LeGuin read & reviewed April 2019
- Collected Poems – W.B. Yeats (own)
- The Road to Wigan Pier – George Orwell
- The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism – Max Weber
- The First Men in the Moon – HG Wells (Project Gutenberg or LibriVox) I love Wells, but I’ve never read this one
20th Century — 1950-1990: 18 books
- The Spy Who Came in From the Cold – John Le Carre (library) read & reviewed
- Eichmann in Jerusalem Hannah Arendt (read & reviewed)
- One Hundred Years of Solitude – Gabriel Garcia Marquez (library) 5/19/2019 read & reviewed
- I Explain A Few Things – Pablo Neruda (own) (poetry)
- Stand on Zanzibar – John Brunner (library)
- Midnight’s Children – Salman Rushdie (own) (reread) read & reviewed!
- The Satanic Verses – Salman Rushdie (library)
- Haroun & the Sea of Stories – Salman Rushdie (own) (reread)
- The Boat of a Million Years – Poul Anderson (own)
- The Complete Cosmicomics – Italo Calvino (library) (reread)
- The Wild Shore – Kim Stanley Robinson (library)
- The Gold Coast – Kim Stanley Robinson (library)
- Pacific Edge – Kim Stanley Robinson (library)
- The Fifth Head of Cerberus – Gene Wolfe
- Beloved – Toni Morrison (library)
- The Hobbit – J.R.R. Tolkien (reread) read & reviewed!
- Lord of the Rings – JRR Tolkien (reread)
- The Phantom Tollbooth by Norman Juster (reread)